The Steel family have been serving Winchester and the wider Hampshire community for four generations since 1860. We are proud to be the longest established private business in the City to remain in the same family ownership.
Richard Steel & Partners have been members of the National Association of Funeral Directors and their Code of Practice for over 100 years. We are also honoured to be members of Selected Independent Funeral Homes, a respected international organisation of family owned businesses. Membership is by invitation only and we have exclusively represented Hampshire for over 50 years.
Each generation has dedicated themselves to helping the City, both professionally and through charitable and community involvement. Their long association with Bishop’s Waltham began in 1990 with the acquisition from the Chamberlain family of Thomas Pink & Son. Winchester and Bishop’s Waltham have been working closely together over the past 30 years helping the families of Hampshire.
Iain is the fourth generation of the Steel family to head the business after joining his father over 30 years ago. Iain is a great supporter of the local community with direct involvement in a number of notable Winchester charities including the Theatre Royal, St John Ambulance and the Winchester Hospice. A former national examiner for Funeral Directors as well as Secretary for the European Group of Selected Independent Funeral Homes for nearly 20 years. Iain continues to be an influential figure in the funeral profession both within the UK and overseas, whilst working day to day with his dedicated team.
RICHARD STEEL BEM
Richard joined his father in 1962 and dedicated the next 50 years to the family business and gave his time to a large number of local charities. He was awarded The Millennium Egg by Winchester City Council in 2012 and received the British Empire Medal in the Queen’s Birthday Honours in 2015 for services to charity and the Winchester Community.
Stanley joined his uncle in 1921 having spent his early life in Treloars Hospital with tuberculosis. Focusing on helping the local community he was twice mayor of Winchester, a Justice of the Peace and in 1971 he was elected president of the National Association of Funeral Directors. Alderman House, City Road is named in his honour.
John was indentured to Frederick Savage, the Winchester builder and undertaker, as a young boy for the princely sum of one shilling per week, rising to five shillings per week after five years. His framed hand written Apprenticeship Indentures are displayed on the wall at Alderman House, City Road.